Thursday 2 April 2015

Maundy Thursday 2015 - The Last Supper

Bible Reference: Mark 14:17-25

They were an odd bunch that came for Passover this year. I don't quite know myself why I took them in - I do hope I'm not going to end up in trouble about this. There's no way I want to get caught in the middle, when all I did was let my room out at the last minute to some people wanting to celebrate Passover - none of this is my fault is it?

I knew I was going to get someone of course. You're supposed to eat the Passover Meal within the City itself, so if - like me - you have a large enough room, you can pretty much name your price. But for some reason, everyone that came and had a look found something about it that they didn't like, or there was a better offer. I couldn't understand it; it'd always done well enough in the past. So when these Galileans appeared, and told me the Teacher wanted it, I showed them the room straight away - they seemed satisfied, and so was I. Who was this Teacher they were going on about though? Some sort of Religious Scholar I supposed.

Anyway, all was made ready, and they came. Thirteen of them - enough to fill the room when they were all reclining at the table. Some bloke named Judas gave me the money, and I started to bring in the food.

I kept hearing bits and pieces of the conversation, and it confused me a bit to start with. They were getting a bit worried about something, and this Teacher was saying about how someone was going to betray him. He didn't say how exactly - maybe he was going to find another teacher - but none of them wanted to think that it might be them. Then, suddenly, I realised who he was; he must be this Jesus, the one who's been going around stirring things up. I've heard a lot of muttering about him; they reckon he's really got the Priests and Pharisees riled up. Now, me personally, I won't say a word against them - they've got their job to do, and it can't be easy having that sort of power. I certainly don't want them to think that I'm opposed to them - I like living in Jerusalem, and the best way to stay here is not to get on the wrong side of the powers that be. Keep your head down, pay your Temple Tax, keep your mouth shut - that's the best way. I'm just going to have to hope that they never find out that it was my upper room that they came to. After all, who would think that there was anything going on other than the normal Passover meal?

He did something very odd though, this Jesus - made this Passover different, and in a lot of ways very disturbing. To start with, he took the unleavened bread - the bread of affliction as we Jews call it at Passover - said the prayer of blessing over it, then broke it and gave it to the others - said something about it being his body. That was a bit alarming. But worse was when it got to the end, and the wine - the Cup of Blessing - was brought out; he said the blessing, got them all to drink, and said that it was his blood, poured out for many! Now I know full well that was red wine - I poured it myself - but even if he was trying to make some sort of joke he shouldn't have said that. We're not supposed to have anything to do with blood - it's the life of all creatures, and belongs to God. We must never eat it, or drink it, and what Jesus was saying was scandalous - no good Jew would ever have anything to do with drinking even an animal's blood, never mind a man's. If it hadn't been close to the end of the meal anyway, I'd have thrown them out - the Priests hear of that, and you're in big trouble.

Anyway, they left after that. Though there's a rumour going round that they didn't get very far - that Jesus has been arrested. I'm not sure why, I thought what he said was wrong and in poor taste, but then again if you've got the full might of the Temple against you they can always find reasons. I won't forget this Passover in a hurry, let me tell you - body and blood indeed. It made it sound like he was going to be the sacrifice - and whoever heard of that happening?

No comments:

Post a Comment